BusinessObjects is the ITS-supported query tool used to retrieve and analyze the data in the U-M Data Warehouse. You can use it to create, run, and edit reports in the data areas to which you have access.
For a basic introduction to the tool, see BIE001 BusinessObjects - Running Reports (eLearning course) .
The U-M Data Warehouse is a collection of data that supports reporting activity for University business. The information is organized in data sets based on subject area (e.g., Admissions Roster or Payroll). The data sets are extracted from the M-Pathways OLTP databases (where data entry is performed) and other University administrative systems. For an overview of the datasets, see MPE200: Introduction to the Student Administration and HRMS Data Sets (eLearning course).
Each data set is refreshed based on a specific schedule (many are refreshed weekly). The U-M Data Warehouse is read-only; you cannot enter or update data.
There are a number of benefits to using the Data Warehouse. For example, you can:
- Access centrally-maintained predefined reports
- Use UM-maintained reports as a starting point for your own customized reports
- Analyze trends
- Combine data from multiple data sets, such as HR and Payroll, in a single report.
2022 BusinessObjects v4.3 Upgrade Resources
BusinessObjects was upgraded to version 4.3 in October 2022. If you are familiar with the previous 4.2 version, the following resources are available to help you navigate version 4.3:
- BusinessObjects 4.3 Overview of Changes - Provides a high-level explanation of the major changes in version 4.3.
- BusinessObjects 4.3 - Function Changes (Reading Mode) - Provides a listing of BusinessObjects 4.2 toolbars and menus and explains where each is located in version 4.3. This document covers functions available when in a report is in Reading mode.
- BusinessObjects 4.3 - Function Changes (Design Mode) - Provides a listing of BusinessObjects 4.2 toolbars and menus and explains where each is located in version 4.3. This document covers functions available when in a report is in Design mode.
All resources included in this document reflect the version 4.3 environment.
Run, Modify, and Create Reports
BIE001 BusinessObjects - Running Reports (eLearning course) is strongly recommended for new users.