What is an HSIP Request?
The online Human Subject Incentives Program (HSIP) form in M-Pathways is used to request funds to pay for a person’s participation as a subject in a research study at the university.
The request is the first part in the HSIP process, which includes:
- Unit approval
- Distribution of funds
- Payment documentation
Human Subject data is confidential.
The HSIP process allows you to obtain and submit subject details required by Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) and Financial Operations for auditing purposes, while maintaining confidentiality.
Subject details (e.g., names) are not displayed in other M-Pathways or central university systems.
Who works with HSIP requests?
||Must be an active University employee or student with an EmplID, uniqname, and Kerberos password.|
||The M-Pathways PR HSIP UNIT ADMINISTRATOR security role is required. See your Financial Unit Liaison for help if you need this role.|
||Part of the Treasurer’s Office, this office sets U-M HSIP policy and business processes in accordance with state and federal human subjects research guidelines.|
||Cash will not be released by the Cashier’s Office to anyone who is not designated as the Custodian/Alternate Pickup on a request.|
HSIP Distribution Information
You can request incentive funds in these formats (
- Payment Coupon
Funds are distributed to either the:
- Researcher (i.e., Custodian or
Delivery options for funds vary depending on:
- Type of payment
- Who receives the initial distribution (researcher or subject)
HSIP offers many options. Instructions for each option are on the HSIP Requestor Resources Page.
Instructions include the lead time that the HSIP Office requires to fulfill the request.
HSIP Request Status
You can view the status of HSIP requests online.
- Not Submitted—request has been started and saved.
- Submitted for Approval—requestor has submitted the HSIP form online.
- More Information Needed—approver returned the form to the requestor for changes.
- Approved—approver verified request and submitted it to the HSIP for processing.
- Released for Payment—HSIP Office has authorized the release of funds to the researcher or subject.
- Paid—Funds were distributed to the Custodian or subject(s).
- Completed—HSIP Office has received the required documentation (receipt/template) for payments.
- Cancelled—the Requestor cancelled the request.
HSIP Documentation Requirements
Document the subject’s receipt of an incentive with a subject detail form.
Applicable forms include:
- Subject Details Form/HSIP Receipt (in HSIP system, pre-filled with request data)
- Blank receipt by Tier (HSIP website)
- Subject information templates (HSIP website)
Approvers upload or submit subject documentation to the HSIP Office.